Context again broken on Mac

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Mar 13 10:09:23 CET 2024

> On 13 Mar 2024, at 09:07, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> - The ConTeXt-related initialization tasks
>
> mtxrun --generate
> context --luatex --generate
> context --luajittex --generate
>
> aren't run by install-tl, at least on the Mac.

Shorter version: TLUtils.pm on line 2292 tests whether luametatex can be run before updating the ConTeXt cache (update_context_cache). The test assumes the binary name is lmtx

  if (TeXLive::TLUtils::system_ok("$lmtx --version")) {

Shouldn't that be "luametatex --version"?

Short version: TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_CONTEXT_CACHE seems set to 1 by default.

Longer version: Looking at install-tl-20240312, lines 13412 ff

  # lmtx/context cache setup, relegated to a common subroutine
  # that tlmgr can also call.
  if (exists($install{"context"}) && $install{"context"} == 1
      && !exists $ENV{"TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_CONTEXT_CACHE"}) {
    $errcount +=
      TeXLive::TLUtils::update_context_cache($plat_bindir, $progext,
                                             \&run_postinst_cmd);
  } else {
    debug("skipped ConTeXt cache setup, not installed or told not to\n");
  }

and at install-tl.log, as installed by MacTeX, which contains toward the end

 The following environment variables contain the string "tex"
 (case-independent).  If you're doing anything but adding personal
 directories to the system paths, they may well cause trouble somewhere
 while running TeX.  If you encounter problems, try unsetting them.

 Please ignore spurious matches unrelated to TeX. (To omit this check,
 set the environment variable TEXLIVE_INSTALL_ENV_NOCHECK.)

    SUDO_COMMAND=/usr/bin/env TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_CONTEXT_CACHE=1 ./install-tl
    TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_CONTEXT_CACHE=1
    TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_DISKCHECK=1

I have the impression the ConTeXt cache initialization is off by default (TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_CONTEXT_CACHE=1).

The man page

https://tug.org/texlive/doc/install-tl.html#ENVIRONMENT-VARIABLES

mentions this variable, but I could not find inside install-tl-unx.tar.gz anything setting its value. And I'm pretty sure Dick Koch doesn't either when preparing MacTeX.

Bruno Voisin