System queries with Lua: l3sys-query

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 10:12:50 CET 2024

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 04:12, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 2024-03-06 at 00:21:07 +0000, David Carlisle wrote:
>
>  > If openin_any = p is in force the calling tex system wouldn't be able to
>  > > read .foo but (currently at least)  it shows in the directory listing.
>  >
>  > I think that's compatible with openin_any=p (which actually is in force
>  > above) otherwise we would (I think) have to add a call to
>  >
>  > kpsewhich -var-value 'openin_any'
>  >
>  > to disable --all in that case.
>  >
>  > or using the lua interface rather than calling the command
>  >
>  >  kpse.set_program_name("kpsewhich")
>  >   if (kpse.var_value('open_in') ~= 'a')
>  >   then
>  >      is_all=false
>  >   end
>
> The latter variant is preferred. Using the kpse library is much more
> efficient than forking sub-processes.

Yes but the question is mostly do we need to do that at all?

If openin_any is not "a" then clearly you can't read dot files but it isn't
clear if they
have to be excluded from a directory listing.

It's no problem to implement that  (as discussed the cost of an extra kpse
initialisation)
but that's not the interpretation I would naturally have from

% r (restricted) : disallow opening dot files

David