[lltx] Fwd: tl24 pretest

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Fri Mar 1 19:57:46 CET 2024

On 2024-02-29 at 08:40:23 +0100, Marcel Fabian Krüger wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 03:37:08AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha via lualatex-dev wrote:
 > > When I run
 > >
 > >   luaotfload-tool -u -f --cache=show
 > >
 > > on Linux I get in LeX Live 2023
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > and luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otl/ contains 26 files
 > >
 > > In LeX Live 2024 I get
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > and the directory luatex-cache/generic/fonts/ is empty.
 > >

 > luaotfload uses different caches. The one `luaotfload-tool -u -f`
 > regenerates is the name caches containing all fonts on the system
 > (usually found under
 > $TEXMFVAR/luatex-cache/generic/names/luaotfload-names.*)
 > while `luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otl` is a separate cache used during
 > font loading. It does not get regenerated by `luaotfload-tool -u -f` and
 > it's expected to be empty if you haven't compiled documents in LuaLaTeX
 > with TL 2024 yet.
 >
 > Can you test if fonts are found if you compile a simple document with
 > LuaLaTeX?

Hi Marcel,
yes, this works.  Thank you for the explanation.

 > > According to
 > >
 > >   strace -eopen -u -f luaotfload-tool --cache=show
 > >
 > > luaotfload-tool searches for fonts in several directories but in
 > > TL-2024 no one is cached.
 >
 > The arguments here don't seem very useful. Did you mean
 >
 > > strace -eopen luaotfload-tool -u -f
 >
 > In any case I would expect most systems today to use openat over open,
 > so can you try running
 >
 > > strace -e openat luaotfload-tool -u
 >
 > and see if that accesses more font directories?

Indeed:

  $ strace -eopen luaotfload-tool -u 2>&1 | grep /fonts | wc -l
  173

  $ strace -eopenat luaotfload-tool -u 2>&1 | grep /fonts | wc -l
  2582

  $ strace -eopen,openat luaotfload-tool -u 2>&1 | grep /fonts | wc -l
  2755

Good to know, thank you!

Regards,
  Reinhard