TeXWorks

John Collins jcc8 at psu.edu
Thu Jan 11 02:38:52 CET 2024

Peter,

There's no problem to configure TeXWorks to run latexmk.  In the TeXWorks
Preferences menu, go to the Typesetting tab, and add tools to run latexmk with
suitable arguments.  Here's what I did:

I added a tool, which I called xelatexmk, configured as follows:
     Program:  latexmk
     Arguments:
              -pdfxe
              -auxdir=.
              -outdir=.
              $synctexoption
              $fullname

Similarly, I added a tool named pdflatexmk, where I use the option -pdf instead
of -pdfxe.

I put in the -auxdir and -outdir options to override my personal configuration
that has different settings, which would mean that TeXWorks would not find the
generated files.

That works on all of macOS, linux, and Windows. Latexmk will handle standard
bibliographies and standard indexes automatically.  For glossaries, there's
some configuration needed --- see the latexmk documentation and the example
configuration files in the texmf-dist/doc/support/latexmk/example_rcfiles
directory.

John Collins