Fwd: tl24 pretest

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Thu Feb 29 03:37:08 CET 2024

On 2024-02-28 at 08:59:51 +0100, Bruno Voisin via tex-live wrote:

 > > Uwe Siart wrote:
 > >
 > >> Uwe Siart <usenet at siart.de> writes:
 > >>
 > >> This also doesn't help. What helped is rolling back to the luaotfload
 > >> version before the February 17 update.
 > >
 > > Don't completely understand what they are duscussing ;-) But it sounds
 > > like this is related:
 > >
 > > https://github.com/latex3/luaotfload/issues/275
 >
 > This seems a Windows-specific issue with path handling, which like
 > the present one is solved by returning back to an earlier version
 > of luaotfload.

When I run

  luaotfload-tool -u -f --cache=show

on Linux I get in LeX Live 2023

luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :
luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: writable path
luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2023/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/
luaotfload | cache : [raw]         13
luaotfload | cache : [compiled]    13
luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
luaotfload | cache : [total]       26

luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: readable path
luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2023/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts
luaotfload | cache : [raw]         13
luaotfload | cache : [compiled]    13
luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
luaotfload | cache : [total]       26
luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :

and luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otl/ contains 26 files

In LeX Live 2024 I get

luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :
luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: writable path
luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/
luaotfload | cache : [raw]          0
luaotfload | cache : [compiled]     0
luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
luaotfload | cache : [total]        0

luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: readable path
luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts
luaotfload | cache : [raw]          0
luaotfload | cache : [compiled]     0
luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
luaotfload | cache : [total]        0
luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :

and the directory luatex-cache/generic/fonts/ is empty.

According to

  strace -eopen -u -f luaotfload-tool --cache=show

luaotfload-tool searches for fonts in several directories but in
TL-2024 no one is cached.

But

  luaotfload-tool --version

reports

  luaotfload-tool version: "3.27"
  Luatex version: 1.17

in TeX Live 2023 and

  luaotfload-tool version: "3.27"
  Luatex version: 1.18

in TeX Live 2024.

I assumed that an incompatible change in LuaTeX caused the problem.

But even if I copy the TL-2023 luatex binary to texlive/2024/bin/x86_64-linux
it doesn't work.

  luaotfload-tool version: "3.27"
  Luatex version: 1.17

>From 'svn log':

  r69916 | karl | 2024-02-16 22:10:33 +0100 (Fri, 16 Feb 2024) | 1 line

This change appeared one day later on CTAN and then people reported
problems.  Thus I suppose that something went wrong with this update
(all files are marked as modified in the repository but the version
number was't bumped).  Looks like an accident.

If the problem can't be solved in due time it's probably best to
revert the change in the TeX Live repository.

I've added lualatex-dev at tug.org to the CC because I suppose that the
luaotfload experts are listening there.

Regards,
  Reinhard