tlmgr bug for reporting info

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Fri Feb 23 21:34:55 CET 2024

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 04:19:06PM -0700, Karl Berry wrote:
> Norbert has added a new action "bug" to tlmgr to help find bug-reporting
> information. It's in tlcritical now, for those who can try it
> early. We'll push it to tlnet soon.
>
> Example below. It's essentially a subset of tlmgr info crossed with
> tlmgr search. Comments/suggestions welcome.
>
> Adam and Siep: we're not sure what would be best for "machine readable"
> output. No problem to make it do whatever needs to be done. I imagine
> that having this action in the GUIs would be quite helpful. --best, karl.
>
> # Example of known package name:
> $ tlmgr bug tex4ht
> Package:        tex4ht
> CTAN page:      https://ctan.org/pkg/tex4ht
> CTAN directory: https://mirror.ctan.org/support/TeX4ht
> Bug contact:    https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/?group=tex4ht
>
> Other contact points:
> contact-home: https://tug.org/tex4ht
> contact-support: https://lists.tug.org/tex4ht
> contact-repository: https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/projects/tex4ht/

There is already a right-click menu for items in the displayed
package list. It should be straightforward to add a bug item to it.
The output can simply be copied line for line to a textbox.

> # Example of non-package name, searched for as a word in descriptions
> # and package names, and as a substring in filenames:
> tlmgr bug perpage
>
> Package matches (alphabetical):
> 1 bigfoot (Footnotes for critical editions)
> 2 footmisc (A range of footnote options)
> 3 footmisx (A range of footnote options)
> 4 zref (A new reference scheme for LaTeX)
>
> File matches (alphabetical by package):
> 5 bidi
> 	texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/bidi/bidi-perpage.sty
> 6 lwarp
> 	texmf-dist/tex/latex/lwarp/lwarp-perpage.sty
>
> Select a package:

tlshell does not have such elaborate search facilities, so I see no
logical place to add this.

--
Siep Kroonenberg