luatex original locale info

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Feb 23 12:49:41 CET 2024

>> %%test.tex
>> \directlua{
>> print()
>> print(status.lc_ctype,status.lc_collate,status.lc_numeric)
>> }
>> \end
>>

>> $>luatex test.tex
>
> When I do that on windows I get three times
>
> German_Germany.1252
>
> "German_Germany" looks odd. Why doesn't that say de-DE or de_DE ?

Welcome to the Microsoft world, which doesn't use POSIX locale names
as everyone else does.  If you are interested in this topic I
recommend to have a look at this M4 file from the 'gnulib' repository
that tries to identify a French locale name.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/m4/locale-fr.m4#n145

Just to get some idea of the whole insanity behind locales...

    Werner