New ghostscript/ghostpdl release candidate

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Feb 22 18:52:57 CET 2024

I just received news on the gs-devel at ghostscript.com list about a new
release candidate:

	https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/tag/gs10030rc1

The news site at

	https://ghostscript.readthedocs.io/en/gs10.03.0/News.html

contains important updates about the changes, some of which enhance
security, and the better integration of optical character recognition
support with the Tesseract engine.  Building with the latter takes
extra steps, described here:

	https://ghostscript.com/blog/ocr.html

I've been using an earlier gs-9.54.0 build with Tesseract support
since 20-Mar-2021, and employ it often to turn bitmap PDFs into text
searchable ones.

That early release has dictionaries for multiple human languages, but
no readily visible way to change from English OCR to other languages.

I send this note to the two lists in the To: line above because
changes in ghostscript in the past have affected some of the tools
that we distribute in TeX Live, and also because the OCR capabilities
may be helpful to list readers who do not otherwise have software for
that purpose.

- University of Utah                                                          -