Problem with mactex-20240213.pkg

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Feb 22 14:31:20 CET 2024

> Alain Matthes wrote:
>
> I'm not very good at doing this kind of installation.
> As I'm currently using lualatex exclusively, I thought I'd give it a try.
> Installation went well
>
> I tried with a simple document.
>
> ———————————————
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> Hello
> \end{document}
> ———————————————
>
> and I get a FATAL error :
>
> ———————————————
> This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.18.0 (TeX Live 2024) (format=lualatex 2024.2.22) 22 FEB 2024 08:17
> [...]
> luaotfload | load : FATAL ERROR
> luaotfload | load : × Failed to load "fontloader" module "basics-gen".
> luaotfload | load : × Error message:
> luaotfload | load : × "...024/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-i
> nit.lua:301: system : no writeable cache path, quiting"....024/texmf-dist/tex/lu
> atex/luaotfload/luaotfload-init.lua:301: system : no writeable cache path, quiti
> ng
> [..]
> ———————————————
>
> Should I wait for the final version or try to complete my installation?

Hello Alain,

The problem arose in the first days of the pretest. It's tied with the new security model of LuaTeX.

I didn't follow closely, but I think it's been solved by an update of the luaotfload package. Have you tried applying updates to your installation in TeX Live Utility? You need to go to Configure > Manage Repositories, then add one of the pretest repositories listed at

https://tug.org/texlive/mirmon/

Make sure to enter the whole URL for the repository (not just the part shown on that page). See the screenshot below.

The problem is that luaotfload needs to create cache files inside ~/Library/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache. The version included in mactex-20240213.pkg can write to an existing texmf-var folder, but it cannot create it. The luaotfload updates fixes that.

If for some reason it doesn't, you can create the texmf-var folder yourself inside ~/Library/texlive/2024/. LuaTeX should work after that.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin