problem with kpsewhich on 2023 binary from 20240218

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 22 01:49:25 CET 2024

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 08:42:47AM +0100, Markus Kohm via tex-live wrote:
> Am Montag, 19. Februar 2024, 22:24:51 CET schrieb Ken Moffat via tex-live:
> > PATH=$PATH:$MYTEXES
>
> Usually it is better to prepend instead of append the TeX Live binary path.
> Otherwise it could happen, that a wrong TeX Live binary is used in some
> scenarios.

For the general case, true.  I only ever have a maximum of 1 texlive
on my (often short-lived) desktop systems, and often 0 texlives.

But, it turns out I was mistaken about exporting TEXMFCNF on most of
my systems.  The one where I originally hit this certainly had that,
and presumably was like that in November when I tested a from-source
build (no copies of ~/.bashrc from so long ago, and I never made a
note about setting it, so I cannot be certain), but on my other 3
machines it turns out I do not export TEXMFCNF.

On one of those I'm now starting to test pretest, looks as if I
should never have exported TEXMFCNF.

ĸen
--
If a core hits a turbo frequency but you are unable to detect it,
does that count ?    -- Anandtech