texlua-based tool and restricted shell escape

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 13:46:24 CET 2024

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 at 11:26, Nicola Talbot via tex-live <tex-live at tug.org>
wrote:

> My main reason for writing texosquery was to obtain the system locale
> information. Lua just returned "C" when I tried it on Linux, which
> wasn't any use as I needed the locale tag (LC_ALL etc is only useful for
> *nix).

Yes  texlua sets the locale to C:

> In stock Lua, many things depend on the current locale. In LuaTEX, we
can’t do that, because it
makes documents unportable. While LuaTEX is running if forces the following
locale settings:

LC_CTYPE=C
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_NUMERIC=C

But I think the main use cases here are file operations  (specifically
directory listings) so this is probably not an issue. As Joseph says, the
idea isn't really "re-implement texosquery in lua", it's "get a directory
listing in a way most likely to work in an installed texlive", and having
texlua available makes that at least feasible.

David