[EXT] Re: Config questiopns

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 20:50:04 CET 2024

so 17. 2. 2024 v 20:39 odesílatel Philip Taylor (RHBNC)
<P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
> Am Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:46:13 +0100 schrieb Gabor Urban:
>
> 1. I have some collections of Plain TeX macroes which I use quite
> frequently. I store them in a global texmf directory.
> With TeLive I have found the directory texmf-local\local\plain, but my TeX
> documenmts could not import. Are there some
> enviroment variables (TEXMF for eg.) or how I should preoceed?
>
> You must put your files in the correct subfolder. E.g. plain-tex
> macros should go into
>
> texmf-local/tex/generic/mymacros
>
> Given that there is a pre-existing directory <installation root>\texmf-dist\tex\plain, why should a user put his/her plain-tex macros in <installation root>\texmf-local\tex\generic rather than in <installation root>\texmf-local\tex\plain, Ulrike ?
> --
texmf-local is permanent and persists after TeX Live upgrade while
files under texmf-dist will be forgotten (and lost if a user deletes
the old distribution) and the user will have to remember which files
were added and copy them. And, in the bad case, when the user does not
have the files elsewhere and after TeX Live upgrade deletes the old
tree before copying the files, they are lost forever.

> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/