tl24 pretest

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Feb 13 12:48:36 CET 2024

> Uwe siart wrote:
>
> Exactly the same problem here on windows. During install ~/.texlive2024
> was created but it looks like lualatex can't use it.

> and later:
>
> I did the following steps and now lualatex works fine. Don't think that
> all of them were really relevant:
>
> 1. Create directory texmf-var in ~\.texlive2024 by hand (it didn't
> exist)
>
> [...]

I can confirm this is the key. I had installed with

	sudo ./install-tl -repository http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/tlpretest/ -gui

and immediately afterwards I had run TeX Live Utility (the Mac GUI to tlmgr), making it check cache-tlpdb.lua for available updates (none of course).

This created, it seems (based on the time stamps), a file

	~/Library/texlive/2024/texmf-var/texdoc/cache-tlpdb.lua

So TEXMFVAR = ~/Library/texlive/2024/texmf-var already existed the first time I ran Stephan's minimal example, hours later. It was only populated with this cache-tlpdb.lua.

If now I move the texmf-var directory away, so that ~/Library/texlive/2024 is empty, and run Stephan's example again, I get the same error as he did

luaotfload | load : FATAL ERROR
luaotfload | load :   × Failed to load "fontloader" module "basics-gen".
luaotfload | load :   × Error message:
luaotfload | load :     × "...024/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-init.lua:301: system : no writeable cache path, quiting".

So it seems luaotfload can write to an existing TEXMFVAR but it cannot create it.

Bruno Voisin