No zhmakeindex available in MacTeX 2023?

Zhenwei Yang zhenwei.yang at cern.ch
Fri Sep 22 13:14:08 CEST 2023

Dear experts,

I installed the latest version of MacTeX (2023) on my new laptop (macOS 13.5.2 with Apple M2 Max) a few days ago. When I try to compile my LaTeX file, it gives me the following error information:

This is makeindex, version 2.17 [TeX Live 2023] (kpathsea + Thai support).

Scanning input file main.idx...done (0 entries accepted, 0 rejected).

Nothing written in main.ind.

Transcript written in main.ilg.

/bin/sh: zhmakeindex: command not found

make: *** [main.pdf] Error 127

I then try to install zhmakeindex with tlgr:

sudo tlmgr update --self
sudo tlmgr install zhmakeindex

The self-update looks fine, while the install failed with the following error:

tlmgr: package repository https://mirrors.cloud.tencent.com/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)

tlmgr install: package zhmakeindex not present in repository.

tlmgr: action install returned an error; continuing.

tlmgr: An error has occurred. See above messages. Exiting.

Could you kindly let know know how I can solve this issue?

Best regards,
Zhenwei