Linking TL with poppler?

Preuße, Hilmar hille42 at web.de
Fri Sep 15 23:37:36 CEST 2023

On 13.09.2023 00:14, Karl Berry wrote:

Hi Karl,

> Hi Hilmar - certainly not a dumb question. I took out those options
> because, due to version skew and incompatibilities, it became impossible
> (impractical) to support.  It also creates a substantially different
> pdftex (et al.) program, which is worrisome to me in principle.

Yes, that is is answer I expected. The poppler people still change the
API every few releases to I understand that trying to use it is rather
painful.

> Nevertheless, if you or anyone can provide maintainable patches to link
> with poppler, I am not opposed to installing them.

Sorry, I'm currently not in the position to help here. It was just a
question.

@Vincent: I had a short look at mupdf. At least in Debian there is no
shared library for mupdf, just a static library and it does not avoid
the code duplication. As far as I understood [1] there won't be a
solution for this soon.

Hilmar

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/719351