O/T : linux: can I list which small caps are in a ttf/otf font ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Oct 26 20:22:48 CEST 2023

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> On linux, and building from source, does anybody know of packages, or
> else of guides, so that when I know a font includes Small Caps I can
> work out which code points are available ?

Not sure that answers your question, but for Unicode fonts if you use Frank Mittelbach's unicodefonttable package in LuaLaTeX with range-end=FFFFF and the default node renderer, you'll see all the glyphs that are normally accessed via OpenType features (like +smcp for small caps) in the Supplemental Private Use Area-A.

Frank warns against this though. From the unicodefonttable doc:

"Thus, by default we restrict the display to slots below 10000, because text fonts seldom contain glyphs in the higher planes. But if you want to see everything of the font (as far as supported by this package) and are prepared to wait for the higher planes to be scanned, you can go up to a value of FFFFF.
However, please note that the LuaTEX fontloader uses the “Supplementary Private Use Area-A”, which starts at F0000, as its own playground and places remapping into it, so by default you see random data instead of font data there."

So I'm not sure the displayed code points mean anything.

Attached is an example of output for STIX Two Text. I think the small caps start at U+F0018. FontForge gives another position 65812 (see screenshot), and ttx from the Python FontTools gives glyph ids starting at 929 for the small caps.

To obtain this, I hacked Frank's package slightly, to get output halfway between Don Knuth's testfont, and fntsample from <https://fntsample.sourceforge.net/> and <https://github.com/eugmes/fntsample>.

Bruno Voisin