O/T : linux: can I list which small caps are in a ttf/otf font ?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Oct 26 00:46:58 CEST 2023

On 25/10/2023 22:40, Karl Berry wrote:
> pf> I believe fontforge is able to dump all the metadata from a font
> pf> file,
>
> Just to mention, for dumping data from otf/ttf, I have had good luck
> with ttx from "fonttools".  https://github.com/fonttools/fontools

I had utterly forgotten ttx, thanks.

> I had to install a whole separate version of Python to get it
> working, but it was worth it.

My main desktop is running Mint 19 so it happens to have a version that
fonttools liked. But it seemed to swallow the pip version, so I avoided
compilation.

> P.S. FontForge can do pretty much anything, but the text in the
> interface is so tiny that it's basically unusable for me to do
> anything but the simplest jobs.
It is minute, and I can't understand why. At least the glyph grid can be
magnified, and the glyph editor is OK, so I was able to create a long-s
for a font without one, but which *did* have a "florin" symbol that I
could cannibalize :-)

Draft: https://latex.silmaril.ie/downloads/niebelungenlied-overlay.pdf
The transparent overlay lets you apparently copy and paste from a
manuscript :-)

> I have found no way to change the font size,

The interface sucks. But the tool is so useful I'm not rocking the boat.

Peter