TeX Hour: Thu 26 October: Share our Linux experience

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:02:29 CEST 2023

st 25. 10. 2023 v 17:10 odesílatel Norbert Preining
<norbert at preining.info> napsal:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> > Administration. More exactly, I'm installing Arch Linux on my PC, with a
> [...]
> > By the way, a major motive for my switching to Arch is to get better
> > support for Wayland, the emerging replacement to X-Windows, which is now
>
> I have been using Arch as my main system for more than a year now, on my
> desktop (nvidia GPU) based on X, as well as on my laptop (intel GPU)
> based on Wayland.
>
> A few comments:
> - arch is great, but you need to know your way around the system
> - Wayland has improved from what, 10 years ago when it was proposed as
>   the successor, and it finally can be used (with some caveats)
> - wayland does not give you anything better than X, besides better
>   security if you are concerned that one program you are running is
>   stealing the input of another program. Everything else is just made
>   more complicated by Wayland
> - Wayland is completely broken with respect to *resilience*:
>   When my X session dies, the apps are still running and I can close
>   them in a proper way using the kbd.
>   When my Wayland session dies, *some* programs might reconnect to the
>   replacement wayland server, but that is Russian^WWayland roulette. In
>   my (repeated) experience, all applications are torn down and SIG 9
>   terminated. That much for resilience

Can someone manage keyboard layoput switching in Wayland? I have 9
layout (9 scripts) installed, switching works fine in KDE Plasma but
does not work at all in Wayland. The behaviour is random thus nobody
can reproduce what happens on my computer. I am not able to reproduce
it either because it is unpredictable.

> - Multimedia on wayland? Get the freaking edge of development (Arch) to
>   have success sharing windows (not only the full desktop), or audio,...
>   Wayland is just basically broken in this respect. There is work
>   ongoing to add protocols to support this, but again, X did it 40 years
>   ago and Wayland is still running after it
>
> So, from someone who has tried Wayland several times over the last 5-10
> years, and now is running Wayland on one work system, I just can say
> that it does not give you anything we didn't have before ... only more
> pain.
>
> Probably a good combination with installing Arch, in the end we enjoy
> inflicting pain on ourselves!

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/