TeX Hour: Thu 26 October: Share our Linux experience

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 16:29:56 CEST 2023

Hi

I'm in the middle of a self-inflicted course in Linux System
Administration. More exactly, I'm installing Arch Linux on my PC, with a
view to meeting my own quite particular personal needs. Right now I'm
running Fedora, and I hope to be on Arch by the time of tomorrow's TeX Hour.

The topic for tomorrow's TeX Hour is sharing our Linux experience. All
contributions are welcome, particularly about things I don't use, such as
Microsoft Windows Subsystem for Linux. It being a TeX Hour, we might focus
on

* technical documentation
* accessibility
* stability
* portability

TeX Hour: Thursday 26 October, 6:30 to 7:30pm BST
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

By the way, a major motive for my switching to Arch is to get better
support for Wayland, the emerging replacement to X-Windows, which is now
almost 40 years old. Wayland goes back to 2008, and the new release of
Debian for the Raspberry Pi now uses Wayland by default. So for the first
time a whole new generation of geeks will grow up using not X but Wayland.

TeX users know that TeX excels at digital typography, particularly in STEM.
TeX provides an admirable platform. I'm excited about Wayland because it
provides a much improved platform for what I might call interactive or
display digital typography.

Look forward to hosting tomorrow on Arch Linux

with kind regards

Jonathan

PS. Researching for this post I came across:

FREE: https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/introduction-to-linux/
$300:
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/linux-system-administration-essentials-lfs207/