TeX Live and pdflatex from source

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 25 16:17:21 CEST 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 08:19:47AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Concerning what Ken wrote:
>
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023, TeX Live Mailing List wrote:
> > and almost every distro appears to end up taking the binaries.  I
>
> Incorrect. As far as I know most distros build the binaries themselves.
> Debian does. SuSE does. RH/clones do. ...
>
> Debian has 2023, and packaging is in a publically available git repo.
>
> Best regards
>
> Norbert

Hi Norbert,

I'm happy to be corrected on that. I know you spent many years doing
that for debian and am pleased the packaging continues.  I come from
nearer the bleeding edge (except in using texlive), so I look at
fedora rather than RH.  For SuSe I've always found them hard to
navigate.  I was thinking particularly of Arch.  Gentoo used to
build from source, but the war in Ukraine stopped that.

ĸen
--
  'The universe is so big, sir, that it obeys all possible laws,'
  said Ponder, 'For a given value of "teapot".