O/T : linux: can I list which small caps are in a ttf/otf font ?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Wed Oct 25 01:05:05 CEST 2023

On 24/10/2023 23:38, Ken Moffat via
tex-livhttp://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/fontuse.html#otfontsLLe
wrote:
> Sorry for asking an O/T question, but I figured this might be the
> place where people with the knowledge can be found.
>
> I'm slowly updating my documentation of available free fonts
> (http://zarniwhoop.uk/ttf-otf-notes.html)

This is really useful, thank you. May I link to it from the fonts
section of Formatting Information? I have a list there of those OTF/TTF
faces for which LaTeX packages exist (so can be used immediately by a
new XeLaTeX/LuaLaTeX user):
http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/fontuse.html#otfonts

> On linux, and building from source, does anybody know of packages, or
> else of guides, so that when I know a font includes Small Caps I can
> work out which code points are available ?

I believe fontforge is able to dump all the metadata from a font file,
including character positions, Unicode code-points, names, aliases, etc,
*without* dumping the glyph code itself, but I have so far failed to
find documentation on the the incantation to do this.

You could also ask on TYPO-L (https://listserv.heanet.ie/typo-l.html)

Peter