Problem changing TEXMFHOME setting

Dan d3vf4n at tutanota.com
Tue Oct 17 09:56:44 CEST 2023

Hello, thanks for spending time on this problem.

>> Yes, indeed, it writes to the file "texmf.cnf" in the root of the texlive distribution. In my case, it is not writable (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/texmf.cnf), so I must call the program with superuser privileges: either with "doas" or "sudo". This is how I do it
>>

> Why does it write to
>  .../texlive/texmf-dist/texmf.cnf
> ?
>
> What does kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFROOT say?

Sorry, my bad,
    tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFHOME '~/texmf/texmf-custom'
writes to "/usr/share/texlive/texm.cnf". TEXMFROOT is "/usr/share/texlive".

>>     $ doas tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFHOME '~/texmf/texmf-custom'
>> This is the output in the terminal
>>     (running on Debian, switching to user mode!)
>>

> Huuuuu?? You said you are running Arch???
>
> Did Arch steal my Debian patch and abused it :rofl:

No not at all, I am on LinuxMint 21.2 (Victoria), a distribution based on Ubuntu, that is what I said in a previous mail.

>> The variable is actually written to the file "/usr/share/texlive/texmf.cnf"
>>     $ cat /usr/share/texlive/texmf.cnf
>>     TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf/texmf-custom
>> Despite this, the actual value of the variable does not change
>>     $ kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFHOME
>>     /home/my-user/texmf
>>

> Probably because that directory is not searched, what does
>
>  kpsewhich -a texmf.cnf
>
> say? These are the files that are found and used.

Yes, it is somehow ignored but didn't know how to check, thanks for the suggestion. Here is the output of the command
    $ kpsewhich -a texmf.cnf
    /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
    /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
    /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
it does not show in the list.

How can I fix this? Where in the documentation of the tlmgr, or TeXLive itself, shall I look into in order to correct this? In case the source of the problem is the packaging of the OS itself, what should I account to write down a useful bug report?

Thanks you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Dan.