regression in TeX Live 2023 concerning some math characters

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Fri Nov 24 03:56:29 CET 2023

On 2023-11-24 01:54:23 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2023-11-24 01:49:59 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > BTW, I usually have
> >
> > \pdfglyphtounicode{f}{0066}
> > \pdfglyphtounicode{i}{0069}
> > \pdfglyphtounicode{l}{006C}
> >
> > in glyphtounicode.tex from my home directory. But I removed the file
> > for the tests, and I could see with strace that this is no attempt
> > to read such a file anyway. I hope that pdflatex doesn't use some
> > form of obsolete cache.
>
> Hmm... I can see /home/vinc17/wd/tex/inputs/glyphtounicode.tex
> mentioned under /var/lib/texmf!
>
> It seems that the installation script is broken.

The Debian bug I had reported:

Here's the current status. If I remove my glyphtounicode.tex file and
do "apt install --reinstall texlive-base", the problem disappears.

This has the effect to regenerate files in /var/lib/texmf. So now,
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pdftex/glyphtounicode.tex
correctly appears in /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.log (while
it previously had /home/vinc17/wd/tex/inputs/glyphtounicode.tex).

If I understand correctly, /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt is
generated by fmtutil, but its man page does not say that $TEXINPUTS is
used. And I would say that using it would be wrong.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>