TeX Live Utility (MacTeX) critical update failure

William L. Kath kath at northwestern.edu
Sat Nov 18 16:38:48 CET 2023

Hi all,

Sorry for reporting to a less-than-optimal list.   I will investigate
more carefully before I hit 'send' next time.  :)

Thanks for the explanations and advice.   Indeed, executing

sudo tlmgr update --self

at the command line was sufficient to perform the infrastructure
update.    And after that, as Bruno indicated, TLU offers the standard
list of updates.

We haven't been allowed to maintain our unix machines ourselves for a
long, long time for security reasons (our support staff are afraid we
will muck something up) and so have never had a reason to learn how to
update an installation without TLU.

I regard that as a testament to how well everything just works.

Best regards,

- Bill