Update of siunitx went wrong (probably)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Nov 9 03:27:52 CET 2023

On Wed, 08 Nov 2023, George N. White III wrote:
> > > - only import packages into TeX Live when (2) AND (3) has happened
> > >       possible, not so easy
> >

> What makes it less than easy?

Needs extra sync/check.

Imports are done manual, based CTAN update notifications.
Checking the catalogue at the same time is another hurdle.
Considering that this is something that needs to be done every single time,
from a volunteer, with restricted time budget anyway, everything
that is not absolutely necessary is not really optimal.

Even when automatizing the check for catalogue and including it into
our import script, it would still require repeated visiting of the
same package, an considerable increase in workload.

> It would be less confusing if the catalog could include the date the
> package version appeared on CTAN or "pending step2".

What for?

> I have little sympathy for people who complain about delays propagating
> updates of free software into archives.  If the update is really urgent and
> important they should use the "out-of-band" route.

Agreed with that.

I also don't think that is the main reason. Work load is the main.

> A "pending step2" in the catalog would help the people who are looking for
> a particular update to decide whether to wait or update "out-of-band".
> There would be one extra step step to replace the "pending flag" with the
> date the package actually appeared.

That will not happen. Workload increase for far too few people.

Best regards

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live