Update of siunitx went wrong (probably)

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 15:31:59 CET 2023

Hi

I am grateful that CTAN and TeXLive are allowing users to install new and
improved packages provided by developers.

Here's my very limited understanding of the present matter.

*  On CTAN there is an update of siunitx taking it to 3.3.8 2023-11-06.
* Uwe says there is no such update today for siunitx on TeX Live.
* Norbert says that there are no recent updates on TeXLive.

All these statements are consistent, if by 'update' he means created by a
human.

However, tooking at https://tug.org/svn/texlive/?view=log I find new
revisions apparently authored by karl. Their commit messages are
'tl-update-auto' and 'autoupdate'.

Perhaps these revisions gave Uwe and Ulrike an expectation that siunitx
3.3.8 would be on CTAN. And Nobert's perception that something is fishy!

I think I've accurately reported relevant evidence. Whether or not my
limited understanding is correct I've no idea. I leave that to the experts.

I hope this helps.

with kind regards

Jonathan