Compiling errors with latest TL update when upcasing some Greek literals.

Günter Milde milde at online.de
Thu Jun 29 09:54:28 CEST 2023

Dear TeXLive maintainers,

After an update of TL23 with tlshell on 2023-06-21, the following
example says
! Missing = inserted for \ifnum. under pdflatex, xelatex, and lualatex.

~~~
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\ifdefined \UnicodeEncodingName
   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \setmainfont{FreeSerif}
\fi

\usepackage[greek,english,provide*=*]{babel}

\begin{document}

\foreignlanguage{greek}{ᾂ}

\foreignlanguage{greek}{\MakeUppercase{ᾂ}}

\end{document}
~~~

The problem was reported to the LaTeX team
https://github.com/latex3/latex3/issues/1236
and fixed in commit
https://github.com/latex3/latex3/commit/ebff6bde8026908f1ddaf657d43e030a31f59e36

Unfortunatly, the fix does not seem to have made it into TexLive yet.
After another update with tlshell today 2023-06-29, the problem
persists.
(With pdfLaTeX, format version 2023-06-01 patch-level 1, and the L3
programming layer from 2023-06-16)

Do I need just some more patience, am I missing something, or is there
some step required from the side of the LaTeX3 team?

Sincerely
Günter Milde

(babel-greek and greek-fontenc maintainer)