Trojan in install-tl-windows.exe reported by Windows Defender

Andrea GINI andrea.gini at sns.it
Fri Jun 16 10:54:33 CEST 2023

Hi everyone in the list, I recently posted a question on Tex stackexchange
regarding an issue with the windows installer.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/688689/trojan-in-install-tl-windows-exe-reported-by-windows-defender

To briefly summarise:

Different clean windows machines with only the basic preinstalled Windows
Defender report the texlive windows installer as a "Critical threat" for
Trojan:Win32/Wacatac:B!ml.

I installed texlive two months ago without alerts or issues. A colleague of
mine tried yesterday and the executable was erased and then the system pops
up with the alert.

I tried too and the alert went off indeed.

I know about false positives, but it is possible that the installer is now
infected, and two months ago was indeed safe?

If this is a false positive, can something be done to whitelist the
executable contacting Microsoft?

I believe a large plethora of people use a standard windows installation
and this issue practically make un-installable texlive.

I had problem in the past during the installation, but this is the first
time that the executable is immediately erased after the download as a
"dangerous file".

Best regards,

Andrea