error with lualatex but not with xelatex

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 30 21:19:41 CEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 02:58:27AM +0100, Ken Moffat via tex-live wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 04:01:07PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> > Am Thu, 27 Jul 2023 06:17:04 +0100 schrieb Ken Moffat via tex-live:
> >
> > > This is texlive-2023 with patches to update LuaTeX to 1.17.0,
> >
> > Well then you should perhaps at first try if you get the same error
> > with a native texlive (which has luatex 1.17.0 too).
> >

> I hope to do that eventually, but at the moment I lack a suitable
> spare system.

Found temporary space on a fresh build, installed current full
binary (might have other changes apart from moving to
lualatex-1.17.0), that worked.

Came back to this problem system, still fails with UnDotum (system
font), but if I use Noto Sans CJK KR or Baekmuk Dotum (both as
system fonts) it works fine with lualatex.

Back when I was using TL2015 I discovered that lualatex could not
find the Sawarabi Mincho japanese font (swarabi-mincho-medium.ttf),
but xelatex had no problem with it, so I commented that font out of
my script where it looks for japanese fonts.  I suspect this is
something similar, and I have no bandwidth to try to work out what
is going wrong - in any case I doubt I have the necessary skills or
understanding.

In the unlikely event that anybody cares, the ABOUT tarball I
attached does not contain the required VERSION and triskel.pdf
files.  Ask me if you want those to look at this.

ĸen
--
    That just goes to show that you never know, although what
    it is we never know I suspect we'll never know. -- Snuff