Dvips fails in texlive 2022, texlive 2023 and MacTeX

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jul 22 15:49:37 CEST 2023

Am 22.07.2023 um 12:05 schrieb Florian Colbatzky:
> Hello, and thank you for the first responses.
>
> Here is some more information:
> - both Linux (Debian and Kali) installations of TexLive have been done
> by using either apt install or just by using the Synaptic package
> manager. On my Mac, I have used the latest MacTeX and regularly
> updated it with the TeX Live Utility.
> - the .tex files process without errors using pdflatex
> - I call dvips either out of the editor like Kile in Linux or
> TeXStudio on the Mac; I have also tried "dvips name_of_dvifile" in a
> terminal after changing into the directory with the .dvi file
> - attached is a text file created in the MacTeX installation with the
> command "dvips -d -1 name_of_dvifile.dvi > dvips_test_a.txt 2>&1"; a
> .ps file was not created
> - the error message in the Linux distributions is:
> Prozess gestartet: dvips -o "Liste_fuer_CuP".ps "Liste_fuer_CuP".dvi
>
> *** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
>
> Kommando abgestürzt: dvips -o "Liste_fuer_CuP".ps "Liste_fuer_CuP".dvi
>
> Prozess endete mit Fehler(n)
>

> Thanks for any help!
> Kindest regards,
> Florian

Hello,

the file dvips-text_a.txt looks quite normal, except that it ends after
opening of
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/adobe-lwfn.map. Could
there be any problem with that file? Could you rerun updmap? Can you
temporarily rename the file?

The second strange thing for me is your shell output: Prozess gestartet ...

I would expect somethink like
This is dvips(k) 2023.1 (TeX Live 2023)  Copyright 2023 Radical Eye
Software (www.radicaleye.com <http://www.radicaleye.com>)

Is there some wrapper around?

Good luck

Alois