Dvips fails in texlive 2022, texlive 2023 and MacTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Sat Jul 22 13:25:41 CEST 2023

> On Jul 22, 2023, at 5:05 AM, Florian Colbatzky <colbatzkyfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, and thank you for the first responses.
>
> Here is some more information:
> - both Linux (Debian and Kali) installations of TexLive have been done by using either apt install or just by using the Synaptic package manager. On my Mac, I have used the latest MacTeX and regularly updated it with the TeX Live Utility.
> - the .tex files process without errors using pdflatex
> - I call dvips either out of the editor like Kile in Linux or TeXStudio on the Mac; I have also tried "dvips name_of_dvifile" in a terminal after changing into the directory with the .dvi file
> - attached is a text file created in the MacTeX installation with the command "dvips -d -1 name_of_dvifile.dvi > dvips_test_a.txt 2>&1"; a .ps file was not created
> - the error message in the Linux distributions is:
> Prozess gestartet: dvips -o "Liste_fuer_CuP".ps "Liste_fuer_CuP".dvi
> *** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
> Kommando abgestürzt: dvips -o "Liste_fuer_CuP".ps "Liste_fuer_CuP".dvi
> Prozess endete mit Fehler(n)
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Kindest regards,
> Florian
>

> Am Fr., 21. Juli 2023 um 08:42 Uhr schrieb Alois Steindl <Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at>:
> Hello,
> you need to provide much more informations about the problem: what happens, when you call dvips? Doesn't it run at all, do you get any error messages from it? Dvips can be called with a debug option, what does it say?
> Are you sure, that the right dvips is called? How do you call it?
> Good luck
> Alois

Howdy,

I have a simple file, Fig2.tex, that includes an eps graphic, stupid.eps. Compiling with `latex Fig2.tex` I get Fig2.dvi. Then

 % dvips -o "Fig2".ps "Fig2".dvi
This is dvips(k) 2023.1 (TeX Live 2023)  Copyright 2023 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2023.07.22:0619' -> Fig2.ps
</usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/dvips/base/tex.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/dvips/l3backend/l3backend-dvips.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/base/8r.enc>
</usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/dvips/base/texps.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/dvips/base/special.pro>.  </usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbms.pfb>
</usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbr.pfb>[1
<./figs/stupid.eps>]

and there is no problem producing Fig2.ps.

Could you please provide a .tex file that gives rise to your problem.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
herbs2 at mac.com