Bug in calls to perl scripts from Windows executables in TeXLive 2023?

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Fri Jul 21 01:11:11 CEST 2023

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023, John Collins wrote:
>     latexmk "-outdir=special ä" test.tex
>     pdfcrop "test ä.pdf"
>
> Then the arguments received by the Perl script in each case contain the
> double quote characters.  For example, pdfcrop thinks it is asked to use a
> file named '"test ä.pdf"' instead of 'test ä.pdf'.  This naturally produces
> various kinds of strange error, whose actual cause is not immediately clear.

I don't think this is a TeX Live not latexmk issue, but a problem of which
shell you are using. If those are normal double quotes, then they should
be removed by the invoking interactive shell before passing the arguments
on to latexmk.

Again, this is nothing *we* have influence on, since this happens at the
interactive command interpreter level.

At least that is my interpretation. But if any system passes on the doubl
quotes, that would be rather uncommon.

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live