Loss of some glyphs in Droid Sans Fallback font

Akira Yokosawa akiyks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 16:52:17 CEST 2023

Hi,

On Sat Jul 15 19:36:22 CEST 2023, Ken Moffat wrote:
[...]
>                                            Today I tried it again to
> compare using lualatex and xelatex.  Noticed a lot of hyperref
> messages (not a problem) but scrolled back, and found that 4 of the
> cantonese glyphs were not in Droid Sans Fallback.  That is true
> whether I use lualatex or xelatex, if I look at the pdf with mupdf I
> can see the empty boxes.  This is using system fonts rather than
> fonts from texlive.

> The odd thing is that I'm still using the Droid-Sans-Fallback.zip
> file which I downloaded from somewhere in 2014 that contains
> DroidSansFallback.ttf dated 2008-10-22.

I think you need DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf for those glyphs.

On my Linux terminal, running "fc-match "Droid Sans Fallback" returns:

     DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf: "Droid Sans Fallback" "Regular"

, and your MWE works as expected.

If you have both DroidSansFallback.ttf and DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf
on your system, you need to setup fontconfig so that fc-match
returns DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf.

HTH.

Akira.