error with lualatex but not with xelatex

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 8 21:10:18 CEST 2023

On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 11:59:50PM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> I do not know which languages you want to cover but you will
> definitely have to increase \baselineskip for Indic scripts derived
> from Brahmi (Devanagari, Gurmukhi, Gujarati, Bengali, ...) and even
> more for Urdu where nastaaleeq is the basic style. You can see a part
> of my book at http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/bharat.php which is written
> in Czech with names given also in Hindi and sometimes in Urdu. Watch
> especially the last two lines of the table of contents (Obsah). The
> Urdu text can be even higher than shown there.
>
> Zdeněk Wagner
> https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/

Hi Zdenék,

I'm only a hacker and tester, not a typographer.  I usually take the
"is it good enough?" approach, often for low values of 'good
enough'.

What I'm trying to do is document available OTF and TrueType fonts
for my (non-https) site at http://zarniwhoop.uk/.  My aim is to
indicate which languages a font covers, and to show examples of how
it looks, so that people can make choices about which fonts might
work for them.  From time to time I take a deep dive into wikipedia,
and I hate seeing 'tofu'.

There are a number of fonts I've seen mentioned recently which might
be interesting, and a few other fixups to presentation (e.g.
changing some of the so-called lipsum files I've uploaded).  All
that I generally show is Article 1 of the UDHR (if the online
versions I've found are correct).

As an example, I've temporarily uploaded a pdf of my new template,
containing all the possible languages I might want to show.

https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/tmp/languages-full.pdf

Compared to previous versions it now correctly picks up bold and
italic fonts, some rewording, and corrected the pilcrow which had
accidentally beeen a reversed pilcrow.  The template shows
FreeSerif which does include some of the languages you care about,
as well as a lot of tofu for other things.

ĸen
--
Ankh-Morpork! It's a wonderful town! The trolls are up and the
dwarfs are down! Slightly better than living in a hole in the