LaTeX can't find any files

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 2 22:36:32 CEST 2023

Am 01.08.2023 um 22:27 schrieb xigoi--- via tex-live:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed TeXLive on a quite new installation of Debian, but when
> I try to compile anything, it gives the following message:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `article.cls' not found.

Hello,

I would like to add the following hints:
Make sure, that the right version of LaTeX is called. I could imagine,
that there is some old binary around, for which the remaining TeX-tree
has been eliminated, like say an ancient texlive version. Maybe an old
link in /usr/local/bin

What gives "which latex"? Does it point to the new texlive trees?

What are the first lines in the log-file?

What happens, if you call the newly installed programs with full path,
something like e.g. /usr/local/texlive/2023/bin/<some linux
variant>/latex localfile ?

Good luck

Alois