LaTeX can't find any files

xigoi at disroot.org xigoi at disroot.org
Tue Aug 1 22:27:48 CEST 2023

Hello,

I've installed TeXLive on a quite new installation of Debian, but when I
try to compile anything, it gives the following message:

! LaTeX Error: File `article.cls' not found.

If I manually copy article.cls next to the file I'm compiling, it will
complain that it can't find some other files that are part of the LaTeX
installation. kpsewhich article.cls doesn't return anything.

I've tried installing TeXLive both through the system package manager
(apt) and manually, this problem occurs in both cases. I've also looked
in various config files and debug logs, but couldn't find anything
unusual.

Thanks for any help,
Adam Blažek