[tex-k] Minor problems in kpathsea's fontmap.c

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Nov 12 00:43:10 CET 2019

Doug - almost all of your comments are well taken, but one point:

    the test for a % comment on the line is done with strrchr(),

It's intentional. (see also commen)

    % Comments (obviously) start with %.
    is not only false

It seems correct to me. It does not say that the first % on a line
starts a comment. Only that comments start with %.
See also comments at the top of texfonts.map about its syntax.

    (and not obviously),

Indeed, I never write "obviously" or "of course" nowadays. I was more
dogmatic in those years :).

    font file names in the TDS starting with a % should always be illegal,

That is precisely why I used strrchr -- because I did not want to make
names containing % invalid. In general, I tried to allow any character
in names wherever possible in kpse, though granted that
whitespace-delimited fields and such are not good evidence of that.

By the way, I think the whole texfonts.map feature could go away today
and no one would notice. Not that I'm going to remove it myself, but I
suspect you could omit reimplementing it if you wished. The lcircle
fonts haven't had their names changed in a long time. I have never heard
of anyone else using it for anything. --best, karl.