[pdftex] compiling 1.30.6 on openbsd-current

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:25:18 CET 2006

On 2/27/06, holop ferenc <fred at pentacom.sk> wrote:
> hmm, Hartmut Henkel said that
> > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, holop ferenc wrote:
> >
> > > my compilation ends in the following couple of lines:
> > >
> > > ar rc lib.a basechsuffix.o chartostring.o coredump.o  eofeoln.o fprintreal.o inputint.o input2int.o main.o  openclose.o printversion.o uexit.o usage.o version.o zround.o
> > > ranlib lib.a
> > > You seem to be missing tangle.web, perhaps because you
> > > didn't retrieve web.tar.gz, only web2c.tar.gz.
> > > You need both.
> >
> > tangle.web is there: pdftex-1.30.6/src/texk/web2c/tangle.web
> >
> > and it's normally found there via the VPATH variable of make. Maybe the
> > VPATH variable is not evaluated by your make version. Do you use
> > gnu-make? I have here GNU Make 3.80. Does your make version understand
> > VPATH?
>
> indeed, this is a very good advice.  normally i always use gmake
> for all the gnu projects.  shame on me.  thank you.
>
> seems like it will finish now ok, if not i'll be back :)
>

> > BTW, your bash problem might go away by "sh build.sh".
>
> that's true, my patch is more of cosmetic character,
> one "dependency" less, so to say.

At one time there was a real bash dependency in the tetex build.
While the top level confugure would run under sh, it was neccesary to
set something like "CONFIG_SHELL=$(whence bash)".   Recenlty, however,
pdftex-1.40 (test) built using ksh on a system (SGI IRIX64) that
lacked bash, so the problem could be fixed or maybe it only affects
the tetex portions of the build.  Unfortunately the resulting binary
was broken because my compiler won't compile the PNG library
correctly.  Hope you fare better.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia