[pdftex] Best bitmap image format?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 26 18:49:56 CET 2006

Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> hans h writes:
>

>> Olivier Lefevre wrote:
>>
>>> I must embed application snapshots in a document. Which format will
>>> work best as far as pdftex is concerned? The snapshot tool can save in
>>> all the usual bitmap formats (e.g., gif, png, jpeg) and also as eps
>>> and pdf but for a bitmap image that is not very natural.
>>>
>> black and white bitmap : png
>> color bitmap           : jpg
>> vector                 : pdf
>> metapost               : mps
>>

> why do you suggest a "colour bitmap" should be represented using jpeg?
> -- for screen shots it seems a really unfortunate choice.

ah, so application snapshots are screen dumps ...

in that case it depends on the kind of snapshot and the resolution, for an average screen (768x1024) png is best (although i'm not that sure if a professional printing house will like the rgb; otherwise lossless jpeg is an alternative); for a high res screen dump (1200*1600 pixels) shown as a small image, i think jpeg ok too.

in any case: i'd just try both and print it on a reasonable printer and choose depending on the looks

when printing screen dumps, the final rasterization also plays a role

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE