[pdftex] Best bitmap image format?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 25 16:04:31 CET 2006

hans h writes:

> Olivier Lefevre wrote:
> > I must embed application snapshots in a document. Which format will
> > work best as far as pdftex is concerned? The snapshot tool can save in
> > all the usual bitmap formats (e.g., gif, png, jpeg) and also as eps
> > and pdf but for a bitmap image that is not very natural.
>
> black and white bitmap : png
> color bitmap           : jpg
> vector                 : pdf
> metapost               : mps

why do you suggest a "colour bitmap" should be represented using jpeg?
-- for screen shots it seems a really unfortunate choice.

as martin did, i too would recommend png for this application; though
i do regularly use jpeg for photos (which is what it was designed for,
i believe).

robin

(aside: i worked on the standardisation of png -- not on the technical
stuff, just the words going round it -- and we had a definite
instruction that png is just as good for colour as b&w).