[pdftex] Color and graphicx

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 13:03:09 CET 2006

> I got the following off the pdftex archives to use color in a pdftex document.
>
>    \input miniltx
>    \def\Gin at driver{pdftex.def}
>    \input color.sty
>    \resetatcatcode
>    \definecolor{yellow}{rgb}{1,0,0}
>    \textcolor{yellow}{This is stuff.}
>    \vfill
>    \bye
>
> This is fine until I add \input graphicx

you should \input graphicx.sty -- graphicx.tex resets \Gin at driver to dvips.

(i guess you did, but...)

> to the mix. Adding it before color.sty produces "!undefined control
> sequence ..."
> and adding it after produces a busy loop.

this is a pdftex.def effect; it attempts to do things
\AtBeginDocument, which is a null command in miniltx (but does the
"right thing" in latex).

one of the things it does isn't idempotent, and it's obviously getting
confused when loaded twice.  i would claim it doesn't need to do these
things at all if it's running under miniltx (it patches up a couple of
latex instances for use in a coloured document).

this explains the busy loop you experienced.

i've not investigated the "undefined command" thing.

however, i don't maintain pdftex.def -- heiko?