[pdftex] includegraphics{pdf} and multiply embedded fonts

Tim Arnold Tim.Arnold at sas.com
Tue Feb 7 16:35:45 CET 2006

I'm including many graphics in a software manual; each graphic is a pdf with the same three subset, embedded fonts. The data below indicate that, with each included graphic, the subset fonts are being embedded with each includegraphics command. I think I understand why, but I wonder if there is a way to work around this, so I don't embed superfluous font information.

Note that Hartmut Henkel kindly provided me with advice when I was trying to substitute fonts when the embedded fonts were Helvetica type1 (not Thorndale ttf):
\pdfmapline{=ptmr8r  Helvetica <8r.enc <ptmr8a.pfb}
or
\pdfmapline{<nontfm> Helvetica <8r.enc <ptmr8a.pfb}

I never got these to work for the included graphics, but my understanding is very shallow right now.

Perhaps I should:
) embed the entire three fonts in the first graphic and embed none in the remaining graphics?
) use the Thorndale fonts as the body font in my LaTeX document?
) create the figures so they use the URW type1 fonts instead of Thorndale ttf?
) use type1 fonts and keep working with Hartmut's pdfmapline suggestion?

Thanks for reading. Here's the data:
--Tim Arnold

9 images, each with these three subset, embedded commercial TrueType fonts:
ThorndaleAMT,Bold
ThorndaleAMT,BoldItalic
ThorndaleAMT,Regular

Example (Figure 1):
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
MKJTCA+ThorndaleAMT,Bold             TrueType     yes yes no       6  0
RQLFSJ+ThorndaleAMT,BoldItalic       TrueType     yes yes no       9  0
PIHZCQ+ThorndaleAMT,Regular          TrueType     yes yes no      12  0

Each image is about 75k. Below is the data showing the resulting pdf file size when the corresponding number of images is included with \includegraphics{figure#}, where '.' is about 25k:
1 ...
2 ......
3 .........
4 ............
5 ...............

That is, the first line shows the size is about 75k when figure1 is included;
the last line shows that the size is about 700k when figure1 through figure9 are included.

Using:
pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4)
GPL Ghostscript 9.15 (2004-09-22)
Memoir class and graphicx package