[pdftex] pdfTeX, Tables and footnotes

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 23:37:01 CET 2002

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Michael Daldrup wrote:
>
> > I'm using pdftex under tetex to create a document with
> > a table and an embedded footnote. When I try to compile
> > the document via pdflatex it reports the following problem:
> >

> > ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
> > <argument> ... at finalstrut \strutbox }\fn at endnote }
> >
> > l.350 ...    & XCV-1000 \footnote{Werte gesch=E4tzt}
> >
> > \begin{savenotes}
> >    \begin{table}[!ht]
>
> What is savenotes? table as floating object
> looks dubious inside another environment.

it's from mark wooding's footnote.sty, and allows footnotes to work
inside things like tabulars.  the \footnotetext commands (as it were)
are emitted at \end{savenotes}.

it's obviously a snare and a delusion in this case, as if the table
floats to the next page, the notes will appear a page early.

i actually hadn't noticed that there was a table environment in
there...  (i've been wearing my new glasses all today ;-} )

> >     \begin{center}
> >      \begin{tabular}{|l|l|c|c|c|r|}
> >       \hline
> >       & XCV-1000 \footnote{Werte gesch=E4tzt} & 191    &   --     &    =
> 40     &    0.10 ms~ \\
> >       \hline
> >       \end{tabular}
> >     \end{center}
> >    \end{table}
> > \end{savenotes}
> >
> > Does anyone know a way how fix this prob.?
>
> Without a minimal test file no.
>
> > PS: LaTeX works fine without an error!
>
> pdflatex also uses LaTeX, so you should
> provide a minimal example to show the
> packages that are required to reproduce
> the error.

i'm inclined to agree.  apart from the booby-trap i mention above, i
don't see any particular reason that this savenotes environment should
fail.  i've forgotten what the reported failure was, too.

of course, the "center" environment inside the float is wrong too.