[pdftex] WHAT is 'free'? NEVER 'fork'! (was xpdf (was: [Gs-devel] Re: [gnu@toad.com: Re: EFF placeholder page for when we have PDF rather than HTML]))

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 11 17:38:53 CET 2002

At 12:57 PM 2/11/2002 +0000, Michael Chapman wrote

>As a (not quite) dis-interested observer, on this list, I must admit I have
>been placing bets with myself as to how long it will be before XDF 'forks'
>from PDF ... certainly not before 2^x months where x > 2^2 .... ;-)>
>(And I am _not_ saying it will be a "good thing".)

there is something PDF/X (subset of pdf, several flavors) and i've read
something about another evolving industry standard (somethnin PPPL or so)
which aims at high speed printing with reusable typo objects (interesting
enough the article refered to a limitation in pdf with regards the need to
embed 1000 copies of something in a 100 page file; strange since pdf has
object reuse as part of the design; if acrobat viewers would cache
redndered objects ...)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl