[pdftex] Open type fonts / Omega / ...

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Tue Feb 5 15:47:30 CET 2002

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 14:42, Hans Hagen wrote:

> this is the pdftex (i.e. good old tex) list;

Thought I might be showing my ignorance, but did not think my question was
"off list". Apologies, if after the following explanation, it still is:

Good _old_  TeX was plain ASCII, unless I'm wrong, nut now we have methods
for both input and output encoding.
I feed some bizarre encodings into pdfLatex. I suppose I could convert them
to something more standard, but I tend to use files "as is" if the encoding
is accepted.

I was getting the feeling that the days of receiving non-ASCII single byte
encoded text files were numbered, and that before long everything
(idealistically!) will be in a UCS flavour (with UTF-8) as a front runner,
perhaps?
I just cannot see myself  (?ourselves) feeding say French text in UTF-8
through a converter to get 'old' ISO-8859-1 to feed into pdfLatex ... but I
have been wrong before.

Kester Clegg's comments (admittedly about ?output encodings) seemed to raise
a mere musing to the level of a practical question, but one which I felt
needed experience perhaps more than (just) knowledge to answer ...

Michael.